LONDON — A top counterterrorism detective was found guilty Thursday of trying to sell information to a Rupert Murdoch tabloid, becoming the first person to be convicted on charges related to Britain’s phone-hacking scandal since a police investigation was reopened in early 2011.
Detective Chief Inspector April Casburn was charged with misconduct for phoning the News of the World and offering to pass on information about whether London’s police force would reopen its stalled phone-hacking investigation.
The scandal over claims Britain's top-selling Sunday tabloid hacked the phone of a murdered teenager took a new turn as further allegations emerged and the prime minister called for a "vigorous" investigation.It emerged late Tuesday that the parents of the victims in another prominent murder case, schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, have been contacted by detectives investigating phone hacking at the News of the World.Prime Minister David Cameron said police should pursue their investigation into the claims in "the most vigorous way".
LONDON (AP) — British prosecutors are considering corporate charges against Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. over phone hacking at the now-defunct News of the World tabloid.London's Metropolitan Police said Saturday it had submitted a file to the Crown Prosecution Service last month. Prosecutors confirmed they "received a full file of evidence for consideration of corporate liability charges" relating to phone hacking.
Britain's police watchdog cleared four senior police officers of misconduct over their role in the London police's widely criticized 2006 investigation into phone hacking at the News of the World tabloid.