SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- Two major South Korean retailers suspended sales of U.S. beef Wednesday following the discovery of mad cow disease in a U.S. dairy cow. Reaction elsewhere in Asia was muted with Japan saying there's no reason to restrict imports....
Two major South Korean retailers suspended sales of U.S. beef Wednesday following the discovery of mad cow disease in a U.S. dairy cow. Reaction elsewhere in Asia was muted with Japan saying there's no reason to restrict imports.
A major South Korean retailer said Thursday it has resumed sales of US beef after briefly suspending them following a new case of mad cow disease in California.Homeplus, one of the three largest discount chains and a local unit of Britain's Tesco, ended the nine-hour suspension on Wednesday night, its spokeswoman told AFP."We resumed displaying and selling US beef at our stores... as the government said there was little possibility that the beef contaminated with mad cow disease had been imported here," Homeplus said in a statement.
SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea said Wednesday that it had cut off a key military hotline with South Korea that allows cross border travel to a jointly run industrial complex in the North, a move that ratchets up already high tension and possibly jeopardizes the last major symbol of inter-Korean cooperation.
North Korea recently cut a Red Cross hotline with South Korean and another with the U.S.-led U.N. command at the border between the Koreas, but there’s still a hotline linking aviation authorities in the North and South.
SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea’s artillery and rocket forces are at the highest combat posture, the country’s military warned on Tuesday in the latest in a line of threats aimed at South Korea and the United States.
The North Korean army’s Supreme Command said it will take “practical military action” to protect national sovereignty and its leadership in response to what it called U.S. and South Korean plots to attack.
The U.S. and South Korea signed a contingency plan of action against attacks from North Korea, which this month threatened preemptive nuclear strikes against the two allies.
General James Thurman, commander of U.S. Forces Korea, signed the agreement on March 22 with South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman General Jung Seung Jo, South Korea’s Defense Ministry said on Monday in a statement on its website.