TORONTO — An Ontario court has certified a class action against BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. involving unpaid overtime, the latest in several such actions against Canadian banks that seek hundreds of millions of dollars.
Lawyers say the latest class action covers more than 1,500 current and former investment advisers, associate investment advisers and investment adviser trainees employed by Nesbitt Burns since 2002.
Koskie Minsky LLP and Eli Karp at Merchant Law are representing the plaintiff in the action.
The case of a robber who ambushed employees of an Ottawa grocery store with a pellet gun is among six cases that will be decided Tuesday by Ontario’s Court of Appeal in what could be a landmark decision on the constitutionality of mandatory minimum sentences for gun crimes.
The stakes are high for the Conservative government’s justice agenda, since a decision finding the sentences unconstitutional would effectively strike down the sentences in Ontario.
A U.S. federal appeals court has overturned a ruling that complicated Canada’s plan to introduce expedited regulatory settlements that don’t require any admission of wrongdoing.
Canada was preparing to introduce so-called no-contest settlements in 2011 to speed up enforcement by quickly resolving cases that would otherwise be drawn out and expensive because of the need to prove or extract an admission of guilt.
QUEBEC — The Quebec government has announced that it will contest the latest nomination to the Supreme Court of Canada, adding a new layer of controversy to the process.
The provincial government says it’s weighing different options to block the Harper government’s appointment of Marc Nadon, which is already under attack.
The dispute, which is unusual in the naming of a Canadian Supreme Court justice, has already sidelined Nadon from hearing cases and left the high court short one judge.
Just what provinces must do to ensure juries are properly representative of the population in an area will be put to Canada’s highest court Monday in a case that could change the country’s jury landscape.
At issue, as the Supreme Court of Canada kicks off its fall session, is an appeal by Ontario in the case of an aboriginal man whose manslaughter conviction was thrown out because his jury had no First Nations members.
The longest serving inmate in Canada to have a murder conviction thrown out faces a potential new obstacle in his bid to sue those involved in his prosecution.
Ottawa police and the province of Ontario are asking the Supreme Court of Canada to block Romeo Phillion, who spent 31 years in prison protesting his innocence, from pursuing his lawsuit for negligence and prosecutorial wrongdoing.
“They’re ragging the puck,” his lawyer, David Robins, said Wednesday.
“[They’re] hoping that he’s going to get old and pass away while they appeal,” Robins said.
Amid declining comparable sales, McDonald’s Corporation (MCD) was hit by another set of troubles, announcing yesterday that workers in three different states were suing the company for wage theft and other labor malpractices.
OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada grappled Thursday with the constitutionality of Canada’s prostitution law, as demonstrators from both sides of the issue aired their views with colourful flair on its outdoor steps.
Federal lawyer Michael Morris argued that the Ontario Court of Appeal went too far last year when it struck down the Criminal Code ban on bawdy houses on the grounds that the law puts sex workers in danger by forcing them to work outside.