Conrad Black has asked an Ontario judge to wind up a five-year process that has seen Hollinger — the firm through which he once controlled the world’s third-largest English-language newspaper empire — languish under court protection against its creditors
The Ontario Securities Commission is no longer pursuing allegations against Hollinger Inc., the Toronto-based holding company that once housed Conrad Black’s media empire.
However, Canada’s largest capital markets regulator has scheduled a hearing to adjudicate an amended statement of allegations against Lord Black and his former Hollinger colleagues Jack Boultbee and Peter Atkinson. That hearing is to take place on Aug. 16.
In early January, at the annual National Post forecast luncheon held at the Canadian Club in downtown Toronto, Conrad Black sidled up beside Postmedia Network Corp.’s CEO and president, Paul Godfrey, and asked him about the Competition Bureau. At the time, the bureau was three months into a five-month-long examination of Postmedia’s proposed $316-million takeover of 173 Sun Media news assets. Lord Black wanted to know how the rigorous review was proceeding.
A Toronto judge issued an order Wednesday setting out a procedure for Mobilicity to seek the court’s approval of the sale of its spectrum licences to a buyer of its choice.
The ruling is just the first step in a process that could allow the financially distressed wireless carrier to sidestep Ottawa’s blessing in a deal to sell its cellular airwaves.
Conrad Black says he is not trying to “re-litigate” criminal and civil cases against him in the United States in his fight with Ontario regulators who are seeking to restrict his activities in Canada’s public markets.
Peter Howard, Lord Black’s lawyer, says commissioners of the Ontario Securities Commission need to hear the full 20-year “saga” of Black’s company Hollinger to determine his fitness to do business in the province’s capital markets.
Former press baron Conrad Black is banned from acting as a director of a U.S. company and must pay US$4.1-million in restitution in a settlement with the U.S. securities regulator that ends a long-standing lawsuit over Black’s dealings as the head of the Hollinger media empire.
Pension plans may have lost the battle at the Supreme Court of Canada, but there’s a debate over whether they are winning the war.
Last week, the country’s highest court unanimously overturned a controversial decision by the Ontario Court of Appeal that had catapulted pensioners ahead of secured creditors for payouts during court-supervised insolvency proceedings. In doing so, the high court restored the pecking order of Canada’s long-standing insolvency rules.
TORONTO — Another chapter in the Conrad Black story begins Friday in Toronto.
Canadian authorities are scheduled to begin proceedings against the former media tycoon, who has already spent time in a Florida jail following U.S. convictions on related matters, which occurred more than a decade ago.
TORONTO – Conrad Black will be allowed the right to speak in his own defence later this week before Canada’s largest provincial securities commission, although it doesn’t want to revisit issues that have already been through the U.S. legal system.
The Ontario Securities Commission panel also agreed Wednesday to also allow testimony from two of the witnesses proposed by the former media mogul, including his former secretary.
TORONTO — The Ontario Securities Commission has delayed a proceeding involving former newspaper baron Conrad Black and former Hollinger Inc. director John Boultbee.
A pre-conference hearing dealing with fallout from their involvement in a complicated system of non-compete payments involving Hollinger Inc. and Hollinger had been scheduled for Monday. It is now rescheduled for Wednesday.