FRANKFURT — Daimler secured a stake in its partner BAIC Motor ahead of a planned stock offering by the Chinese carmaker, in an effort to catch up with larger German rivals in what could become the biggest market for luxury cars in the world.
Daimler will pay 640 million euros (US$869 million) for a 12% stake in BAIC Motor and get two seats on the board in a deal that signals the German company’s intention to reverse its flagging fortunes in China.
Dreamworks Animation Skg Inc (NASDAQ:DWA) is ready to launch its 24-hour, family-oriented TV channel in 19 Asian countries in the second half of 2015. The studio behind “How to Train Your Dragon,” “Kung Fu Panda,” and the famous franchise “Shrek” is trying to expand its portfolio from movie theaters to television shows.
The business, set up in 2006, was a joint venture between Mone and her ex-husband Michael and the healthcare supplements retailer Jan de Vries.
Mone, best-known for her Ultimo bras, had credited De Vries with helping her lose six stone and set up the business to market a diet plan based around a supplement he developed. Now De Vries has stood down as a director and Mone and a “silent” business partner have taken full control of the company, with the lingerie entrepreneur owning 60 per cent of the shares.
A deal announced Tuesday between Dollarama and a Latin American chain could signal Canada’s largest dollar store operator is looking at moving into those markets, analysts say.
The Montreal-based company will disclose more detail on a conference call Tuesday about its new deal to supply sourcing services to Dollar City, a dollar store chain located in El Salvador and Guatemala with 15 outlets.
Royal Dutch Shell plc (ADR) (NYSE:RDS.A) has announced plans to sell off stake in the Tongyi oil lubricants joint venture. The company holds a 75% stake in the lubricant firm, while the remaining 25% stake is held by Huo Zhenxiang, the founder of the joint venture. Shell has hired services of China’ investment bank China International Capital Corp to aid in the sale of its 75% stake in Tongyi, which comprises of oil lubricants for motorcycles, cars, and other vehicles.
AMC (AMCX) recently confirmed a deal to acquire a 49.9% stake in BBC America, to gain control of the channel's operations as well as advertising, distribution, and sales network in the US; the deal still leaves 50.1% of the ownership with BBC. The agreement, which was first rumored in July, is described as a “long term creative partnership” that will help both groups access premium quality content, and increase the BBC's viewership in the US.
Delta Air Lines Inc. agreed to buy the 49% stake in Richard Branson’s Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd. held by Singapore Airlines Ltd. for $360 million to boost its share of the lucrative trans-Atlantic travel market.
Virgin, the biggest long-haul rival to British Airways at London’s Heathrow airport, will also join forces with Atlanta- based Delta for the operation of flights between Europe and North America, the companies said today in a statement.